Dr. Dianah is a performance driven professional with fourteen years valuable wealth of experience and expertise in teaching, directing and controlling economic and policy research, in both private and public sectors. She has a Ph.D in Economics from Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg, Germany majoring in Industrial Economics. She also holds a Master of Arts (Economics) degree from Kenyatta University in Kenya.
In terms of research, Dr. Dianah has worked as a policy analyst at the Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research & Analysis (KIPPRA) and consulted with and for both international and local organizations. She has also undertaken research with global think tanks such as the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) and the UNU-WIDER in Helsinki, Finland. Dr. Dianah main areas of research are industrial economics, policies and enterprise performance having
extensively researched and published on industrial policy, firm efficiency, technology adoption, energy consumption and demand analysis. Dr. Dianah has been involved in peer reviewing of research papers and policy strategy documents from various African institutions such as KIPPRA and the AERC. Currently, she chairs the research and consultancy committee in the School of Economics, Kenyatta University. In terms of teaching and capacity building, Dr. Dianah has been involved in the development and review of the curriculum for both undergraduate & graduate degrees at the department of
Econometrics & Statistics, Kenyatta University, where she is currently serving as a Senior Lecturer. She has been involved in teaching and training of both undergraduate and postgraduate students both from Kenya (Kenyatta University) and other African countries through her involvement in the AERC Joint Facility for Electives (JFE) training Program. Her prowess in Econometrics and Statistics has enabled her to be at the cutting edge as far as modelling and data
analysis is concerned. In 2018, She was incorporated in the AERC PhD Board of examiners Dianah possesses good planning and coordination experience; good communication, report writing and presentation skills and ability to work along with people from diverse professional and cultural backgrounds to attain a common goal. She is good in multi-tasking and comfortably works under pressure, delivering results on time with due cognizance to efficient use of
resources and presentation of accurate details.
Major Research Interests: Industrial Economics, Energy Economics, Performance Analysis (Growth, Efficiency and Productivity analysis) with applications to various private and public sectors
Other Research Interests: Applied Microeconomics, Applied Micro-econometrics, Panel Data Analysis, Project Evaluation, Statistical Innovations
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Kanang Amos Akims, and Dianah Mukwate Ngui (2019), Productivity and Export Performance: Micro-Level Evidence from the Manufacturing Sector in Nigeria, Frontiers of Economics in China, Vol. 14, Issue 3. Pp. 428 – 460. http://journal.hep.com.cn/fec/EN/10.3868/s060–008–019–0019–0
- Kanang Amos Akims, Perez Ayieko Onono, and Dianah Mukwate Ngui (2019), Trade Liberalization and Productivity in the Nigerian Manufacturing Sector, Journal of Economic and Sustainable Growth 2;1, Office of The Chief Economist, Development Bank of Nigeria. Vol. 2, Issue 1. Pp. 92 – 137. https://devbankng.com/cms/uploads/Liberalization%20And%20Productivity%20In%20The%20Nigerian%20Manufacturing%20Sector.f
- Mutuku, M., Korir, J., and and Ngui-Muchai, D., (2019) Government Expenditure and School Efficiency and Productivity Change: A Case of Public Primary Schools in Kenya, Journal of Social Sciences,15, Pp. 29-39.
- Muchai, D. N. & Muchai, J. (2016) ‘Fiscal Policies and Capital Flight in Kenya’ African Development Review. Vol. 28, No. S1. Pp. 8 - 21. Blackwell
- Ndicu, N.S., Ngui. D.M. and Gachanja, P.M. (2016): Technical Efficiency Analysis of the kenyan Agro-processing Industry. The International Journal of Business and Management, 4:5 Pp. 100-109.
- Ogada, M. J., Muchai, D. and Mwabu, G. (2014): Farm Technology Adoption in Kenya: Simultaneous Estimation of Inorganic Fertilizer and Improved Maize Variety Adoption Decisions. Agricultural and food Economics, 2:12. Springer
- • Ogada, M. J., Muchai, D., Mwabu, G. and Mathenge, M. (2014): Technical Efficiency of Kenya’s Smallholder Food Crop Farmers: Do Environmental Factors Matter? Environment, Development and Sustainability, 16:5, pp 1065 -1076. Springer
- Ngui, D.M., Wasike, W. and Mutua, J.M, (2012): Energy Planning Model: A Survey with Future Directions for Kenya’s Energy Planning, The Journal of Energy and Development, Vol. 37, no1/2. CEED
- Mutua, J.M, Ngui, D.M, Osiolo, H., Aligula, E. and Gachanja, E. (2012): Consumers Satisfaction in the Energy Sector in Kenya, Energy Policy, 48: pp. 702-710. Elsevier
- Ngui-Muchai, D.M. and Muniu, J.M. (2012) Firm Efficiency Differences and Distribution in the Kenyan Manufacturing Sector, African Development Review, 24: 1, pp. 52-66. Blackwell
- Ngui, D.M., Mutua, J.M, Osiolo, H. and Aligula, E. (2011) Household Energy Demand in Kenya: An Application of Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System (LA-AIDS), Energy Policy, 39(2011): pp. 7084 -7094. Elsevier
- Ngui, D.M., Becker, C. and Thomi, W. (2008): Corruption, Insecurity and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from the Kenyan Manufacturing Firms, International Journal of Afro-Asian Studies, 1:1, pp. 66 -75.
Articles under Review in Refereed Journals
- Muchai, J. and Ngui, D.M. (Forthcoming): Technical Efficiency Effects of Bank Mergers and Acquisitions in Kenya – Review of Development Finance
- Muchai, J. and Ngui, D.M. (Forthcoming): Long-run Determinants of Savings in Kenya
- Ngui, D.M.: Technical Efficiency Point and Confidence Interval Estimates of the Manufacturing Sector in African Economies: A case of Kenya
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Ngui, D.M., Muniu, J. M. and Wawire, N.H.W. (2014): Determinants of Informal Sextor Performance in the Rural Areas of Kenya: Evidence from Makueni County, in International Conference on Dynamics of Rural Transformation in Emerging Economies, Excel India Publishers, New Dehli, India.
- Ngui, D.M., Becker, C. (2007): Technical Efficiency Point and Confidence Interval Estimates of the Manufacturing firms in African Economies: A case of Kenya, in Efficiency and Productivity Analysis: Retrospect and Prospect, A Book of Abstracts for the Tenth European Workshop on Efficiency and Productivity Analysis (EWEPA), Lille, France.
2018: Ngui, D. and Kimuyu, P.: Prospects for Information and Communication Technology-Enabled Services in Kenya: The case of the Mobile Money Transfer Industry. Newfarmer, R.S., Page, J., and Tarp, F.(eds). Industries without Smokestacks: Industrialization in Africa Considered. Oxford University Press, Pp. 213 - 231
- 2016: Ngui, D. Chege, J., and Kimuyu, P.: Kenya’s Industrial Development: Policies, Performance, and Prospects. Newman, C., Page, J., Rand, J., Shimeles, A., Söderbom, M. and Tarp, F.(eds) Manufacturing Transformation: Comparative Studies of Industrial Development in Africa and Emerging Asia. Oxford University Press, Pp. 72 - 91
- 2008: Ngui, D.M. On the Efficiency of the Kenyan Manufacturing Sector: An empirical Analysis, Published by Shaker Verlag, Aachen. ISBN No. 978-3832269432
Participation in Workshops/Conferences
- Attended and participated in the Economic Opportunities for a Better Future Leveraging agriculture, Innovation and Financial Inclusion Conference organised by the DFID-ESRC Growth Research Programme(DEGRP) and the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) at Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi on 28th-29th October, 2016.
- Technocrat at the workshop to discuss preliminary Findings of HIV Programme efficiency and Return on Investments study findings organised by the National Aids Control Council (NACC) at Mountain Breeze Hotel, Embu on 6th-8th October, 2016.
- Attended and participated in a Dialogue on Innovative Higher Education Strategies (DIES) seminar: Quality Doctoral Education-A Prerequisite for Strong Universities in Africa organised by the Germany Academic Exchange Service(DAAD) in Cooperation with the Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) at the Sarova Panafric Hotel, Nairobi 26th -28th September, 2016
- Discussant at an Environmental for Development annual event workshop at the Nairobi Safari Club Hotel, Nairobi 22nd November, 2015
- Discussant at an African Economic Research Consortium Capital Flight and Tax Havens inception workshop at the Fairview Hotel, Nairobi 20th – 21st March, 2014
- Discussant at an Environmental for Development annual event workshop at the Fairview Hotel, Nairobi 7th August, 2013
- Resource Person at an Econometrics Workshop organised by Econometrics and Statistics Department, Kenyatta University at Kenyatta University Business Centre, July 2012
- Resource person, Research Methods and Computer Applications course review workshop for AERC Collaborative Masters Program at the Safari Park and Casino hotel, Nairobi 26th April to 2nd May, 2012
- Attended a workshop on Learning to Compete at the Oleseren hotel, Nairobi 12th to 14th September, 2011
- Attended a workshop on integrated watershed management in Moshi, Tanzania 14th to 25th September, 2009
- Attended a training workshop on gender analysis and mainstreaming in Kampala, Uganda 19th to 23rd January, 2009
- Resource person, Industrial Economics Course review workshop for AERC Collaborative Masters Program at the Kenya Commercial Bank, Management Centre in Nairobi 24th June to 26th June, 2008
Presentation of Papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
- ‘ Household Energy Demand in Kenya: An Application of Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System (LA-AIDS)’ a paper presented at the AERC Joint Facility for Electives Seminar Series, held on 1st August 2019 at Kenya School of Monetary Studies, Kenya.
- ‘Fiscal Policy and Capital Flight in Kenya’ a paper presented at the National Workshop on Capital Flows in Kenya, held on 4th September, 2017 at the Hilton Hotel, Nairobi.
- ‘Understanding Industrial Policies in Kenya’ a research proposal Presented at the Capacity Building Workshop on Mobilizing Local Knowledge to Improve Competitive Strategies, held on 30th June – 1st July, 2017 at the Intercontinental Hotel, Nairobi
- Muchai, D.N., & Kimuyu, P. (2016) ‘ICT enabled services in Kenya: Presented at UNU-WIDER’S Author’s workshop on Industries without smokestacks, held on 19th – 20th June 2016 in Helsinki, Finland
- Muchai, D. M. & Muchai, J. M. (2015) ‘Fiscal Policies and Capital Flight’ Presented at the African Economic Research Consortium Capital Flight and Tax Havens, Final Review workshop, held on 29th – 30th May, 2015 at the Snowcrest Hotel, Arusha, Tanzania.
- Ngui, D. M. & Muniu, J. M. (2014) ‘Fiscal Policies and Capital Flight’ Presented at the African Economic Research Consortium Capital Flight and Tax Havens inception workshop, held on 20th – 21st March, 2014 at the Fairview Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Ngui, D. M. & Muniu, J. M. (2013) ‘Household energy Choice and Poverty Reduction’ Presented at the Environmental for Development annual event workshop, held on 7th August 2013 at the Fairview Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Ng’ang’a, J. C., Ngui, D.M., Kimuyu, P. (2013) ‘Industrialization in Kenya: What went Wrong and Why? Presented at UNU-WIDER’S conference, held on 24th – 25th June 2013 in Helsinki, Finland.
- Muniu, M., Ngui, D.M. (2013): Long run Determinants of Savings in Kenya, presented at the AERC Biannual Conference held on 2nd to 7th June 2013 at Mt. Meru Hotel, Arusha, Tanzania.
- Ngui, D.M., Nganga, C. J., Kimuyu, P. (2012) ‘Learning by Exporting: the Kenyan experience’, presented at a learning to compete workshop held on 27th to 28th may 2011 at Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi.
- Nganga, C. J., Ngui, D.M., Kimuyu, P. (2011) ‘Scooping paper on Kenyan Manufacturing’, presented at a learning to compete workshop held on 27th to 28th May 2011 at Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi.
- Muniu, M., Ngui, D.M., Mburu, K., Obere, A. (2011): Technical Efficiency effects of bank mergers and acquisitions in Kenya, presented at the 8th African Finance Journal Conference held on 14th to 15th April 2011 at Safari Court Hotel, Windhoek, Namibia.
- Mutua, J.M., Ngui, D.M., Mwakubo, S. (2010), ‘Comprehensive Study and Analysis on Energy Consumption in Kenya’ presented at a stakeholders workshop held on 28th January, 2010 at Utalii Hotel, Nairobi.
- Mutua, J.M., Ngui, D.M.(2009), ‘National energy survey report’ presented at a dissemination workshop held on 29th September at Utalii Hotel, Nairobi.
- Ngui, D.M., Becker, C. and Thomi, W. (2007): ‘Corruption, Insecurity and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from the Kenyan Manufacturing Firms’, presented at a First Conference on Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, held on 14th to 17th November, 2007 at Kenyatta University, Nairobi.
- Ngui, D.M. and Thomi, W. (2007): ‘Estimating Efficiency within the Manufacturing Sector in Kenya during the Structural Reform Period: An Empirical Analysis’, presented at Tenth European Workshop on Efficiency and Productivity Analysis (EWEPA) held on at 27th to 30th June at Lille, France.
- Ngui, D.M. and Becker, C. (2007): Technical Efficiency point and Confidence Interval estimates of the Manufacturing sector in African economies: A case of Kenya’, presented at Tenth European Workshop on Efficiency and Productivity Analysis (EWEPA) held on at 27th to 30th June at Lille, France.
- Ngui, D.M. (2006): ‘Does Corruption and Insecurity Affect Firms Efficiency? Evidence from the Kenyan Manufacturing Firms’, presented at First Halle Efficiency and Productivity Analysis Workshop-HEPAW, 20th to 21st June at Halle, Germany.