Dr. Ouma is a lecturer in the School of Economics, Kenyatta University. He holds PhD (Economics) from Kenyatta University, a distinction in MA (Economics) from The University of Mauritius (under the African Economic Research Consortium Collaborative Masters Programme) and First Class Honors in BA (Economics major) from Kenyatta University. He has also undertaken others trainings such as; Research methods and statistical packages, computer studies, CPA and teaching methodology. Dr. Ouma lectures in both undergraduate and post graduate (Masters and PhD) programmes,supervises Masters and PhD students, and also internally examines Masters Projects and PhD Theses. He is a qualified professional in the field of economics with strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, research and teaching experience. He has attended and presented papers in both international and local conferences/seminars, and published papers in refereed journal. He has also written several university level modules for a number of institutions including Kenyatta University, COMESA Virtual University, KCA University and Kenya School of Monetary Studies.
Currently, Dr. Ouma is the School’s Examinations Coordinator, and Vice-Chairman of the School Board of Graduate Studies, School of Economics Kenyatta University. He is also a member of several committees in the school, such as; Academic Results Review Committee, Quality Assurance and ISO Co-ordination Committee, Academic Programmes Review Committee and Events Organizing Committee, among others. Dr. Ouma has also participated in a number of consultancies involving Economic and Social Research, among them include; Costing of the functions of National and County governments in Kenya, Determination of Economic burden of Gender Based Violence to survivors and perpetrators in Kenya and Financial/Market feasibility study for investment projects. He has research interest inMacroeconomics, Microeconomics, Econometrics, International Economics (Trade, Finance and Integration), Economic Growth and Public Sector Economics (Debt Management, Devolution, Public Expenditure and Taxation), Impact Evaluation, Costing of government and institutional functions, Market and financial feasibility studies, among others.
- Nov. – Dec. 2016: Acting Chairman (Head of Department), Department of Economic Theory, School of Economics, Kenyatta University.
- April 2016 – to date: School’s Examination Coordinator, School of Economics, Kenyatta University.
- May 2015 – Date: The Vice-Chairman of the School Board of Graduate Studies, School of Economics, Kenyatta University.
- Jan. – Dec., 2016: Thematic leader (Economics Programme) – Nyeri Campus, Kenyatta University.
- Feb. 2015 – Date: Member of the School Events Organizing Committee, School of Economics, Kenyatta University.
- Jan 2011 – Date: Member of the Departmental Committee on Quality Assurance and ISO Co-ordination, Department of Economic Theory, School of Economics, Kenyatta University.
- July 2015 – Date: Member of the Academic Results Review Committee of The School of Economics, Kenyatta University.
- May – July, 2016: Member of the 40th Graduation Ceremony planning Committee, Kenyatta University.
- Ouma, D. (2017) ‘Intra-Regional Agricultural Exports in East African Community’ – Journal of African Economic Review. Vol. V, No. 1 (2017).pp 14 – 31.
- Ouma, D.(2016), ‘Regional Trade Agreement and Agricultural Trade in East African Community’ Journal of African Economic Review. Vol. 4, No. 2 (2016).pp 279 – 295.
- Ouma, D., Kimani, T. and E. Manyasa (2016), ‘Regional Agricultural Trade and Economic Growth in East African Community’ Journal of African Economic Review. Vol. 4, No. 2 (2016).pp 203 – 221.
- Ouma, D. (2016) ‘Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Stock Market Performance in Nairobi Securities Exchange, Kenya’ – Presented at the Ninth Asia-Pacific Conference on Global Business, Economics, Finance and Banking in Hong Kong – SAR on 13th August, 2016.
- Ouma, D. (2010) ‘Intra-industry trade between Kenya and the East African Community States- Gravity Model’ – LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing (April, 2016).
SELECTED SEMINARS/WORKSHOPS AND CONFERENCES
- 24th Sept. 2016 – Attended and presented a paper in a Business Seminar on China Import and Export Fair – Canton Fair at Hotel Laico Regency, Nairobi. Paper title: Sino – Africa Trade, Case of Kenya.
- 11th -13th August, 2016 - Attended and presented a paper in the Ninth Asia-Pacific Conference on Global Business, Economics, Finance and Banking, at Grand Western Hotel, Hong Kong – SAR. Paper title: Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Stock Market Performance in Nairobi Securities Exchange, Kenya.
- 20th May – 9th June, 2015: Attended a seminar on Economics and Trade for teachers from African countries in Shijiazhuang, China. Organized by Hebei University of Economics and Business.
- 3rd July, 2015: Attended and presented a paper in the 30th Kenyatta University Postgraduate Seminar in Kenyatta University, Nairobi. Paper title: Agricultural Trade and Economic Growth in East African Community, 2000 – 2012.
- 27th – 28th March, 2014: Attended and presented a paper in the International Conference on Dynamics of Rural Transformation in Emerging Economics, Bangalore, India. My paper was awarded the best of the conference. Paper title: Effects of East African Community Regional Trade Agreement on Members’ Agricultural Exports.
- 13th – 15th May, 2014: Attended a three-day workshop at Lake Elementaitia Lodge, Gilgil, Kenya. The theme of the workshop was “Costing of Government Functions in the republic of Kenya”. Organized by TA and CRA.
- 28th July, 2014: Attended a half a day consultative workshop on Costing of Government Functions in the republic of Kenya at Intercontinental Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya. Organized by TA and CRA.
- May, 2010 – to date: Attended several post graduate seminars/thesis defenses organized by Kenyatta University, Nairobi Kenya.
- Sept., 2008 – April, 2010: Attended several post graduate seminars and workshops organized by The University of Mauritius, Reduit, Mauritius.