Position: Senior Lecturer
Department: Economic Theory
Contact Address: P.O. Box 43844 , 00100 Nairobi
Phone: (+)254 020 8710901-10 Ext.3870
Dr. George Kosimbei holds a PhD in Economics from Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya. He has substantial experience in teaching, research and consultancy, having joined KU as a Tutorial Fellow in 2003. He is also a holder of MA (Economics) and BA (Economics) -First Class Honours both from Kenyatta University. He has previously worked with the Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA) as a Young Professional and also as an Analyst. He was also attached to the Child and Newborn Health Group, Kenya Medical Research Institute- Wellcome Trust Collaborative Programme, (KEMRI/WT) Nairobi Unit.
Dr. Kosimbei has received training in Economic Evaluation from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (UK). His major interests revolve around costing of health interventions, advanced macroeconomics, and health economics. He was recently involved in the curriculum review for macroeconomics and health economics taught under Africa Economic Research Consortium (AERC). Dr. Kosimbei is the Director of Chandaria Business Innovation and Incubation Centre (Chandaria BIIC) and also an active member of the Intellectual Property Rights Board of Kenyatta University. He is a member of Health Economics and Policy Network in Africa (HEPNet) and the International Health Economics Association (IHEA).
Marang’a, M., Kosimbei, G., Ouma, D., 2018, Effects of Dispensation of Justice and Provision of Security on Private Investments, Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 9(5)
Gachanja, S., Kosimbei, G., 2018, Dynamic linkage between foreign equity flows and stock market returns at the Nairobi Securities Exchange, Strategic Journal of Business & Change Management Vol. 5(3)
Marang’a, M., Ouma, D., Kosimbei, G., 2018, Congestion in the Justice System and Investments, Journal of Poverty, Investment and Development, Vol. 1(1)
Kaimuri, B., Kosimbei, G., 2017, Determinants of Sustainable Development in Kenya, Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, Vol. 8 (24)
- Wekesa, C., Wawire, N., Kosimbei, G., 2016, Effects of Infrastructure Development on Foreign Direct Investment in Kenya, Journal of Infrastructure Development, Vol. 8 (2) Pp. 1-18
- Chen, A., G. Kosimbei, D. Mwai, and A. Dutta. 2014, Cost of Providing Oral Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis to Prevent HIV Infection Among Sex Workers in Kenya, Washington, DC: Futures Group, Health Policy Project. ISBN: 978-1-59560-044-8.
- Njoroge EK, Kosimbei G, Korir JK, 2014. Testing the Twin Deficit Hypothesis for Kenya 1970 - 2012. International Journal of Business and Economics Research 3(5), 160
- Kennedy N. Ocharo,Nelson W. Wawire,Tabitha K. Ng’ang’a,George Kosimbei,2014. Private capital inflows and economic growth in Kenya,International Journal of Development and Sustainability, Volume 3 Number 4 (2014): Pages 810-837.
- Mwangi, L.W., Muathe, S. M., Kosimbei, G.,2014. Relationship between Capital Structure and Performance of Non -Financial Companies Listed In the Nairobi Securities Exchange, Kenya. Global Journal of Contemporary Research in Accounting, Auditing and Business Ethics, Vol: 1 Issue 2 (2014).
- Mwangi, L. W., Muathe, S.M., Kosimbei, G.,2014. Effects of Working Capital Management on Performance of Non-Financial Companies Listed In NSE, Kenya. European Journal of Business and Management. ISSN (Paper) 2222-1905 ISSN (Online) 2222-2839. Vol.6, No.11, 2014.
- Dutta, A., Mwai, D., Kosimbei, G., Gerson- Nieder, Z., Value for money indicators for Malaria investments in Kenya, Indicators, Definitions and Data Sources, 2013, Futures Group, Washington D.C.
- Dutta, A., Ricardo, S., Kioko, U., Perales, N., Kosimbei, G., Evaluating investments in a more sustainable response: PEPFAR Support to ART and PMTCT in Kenya, 2005-2011, 2013, USAID Health Policy Initiative Costing Task Order, Washington D.C.
- Muthui, J.M., Kosimbei, G., Maingi, J., Thuku, G.K., The impact of public expenditure components on economic growth in Kenya, 1964-2011, 2013, International Journal of Business and Social Science,Vol. 4, No. 4, pp.233-253.
- Nasieku, T., Kosimbei, G., Obwogi, J., Intermediation efficiency and productivity of commercial banks in Kenya: A Data Envelopment and Malmquist Productivity Index Analysis, 2013, Economics and Finance Review, Vol. 3 No. 1, pp.01-13
- Gichuki, J., Oduor, J., Kosimbei, G., The choice of Optimal Monetary Policy Instrument for Kenya, International Journal of Economics and Management Sciences, Vol. 1, Number 9, 2012.pp 01-23.
- Kosimbei, G., Hanson, K., English, M., Do clinical guidelines reduce clinician dependent costs? Journal of Health Research Policy and Systems 2011 Vol. 9 Issue 1 No. 24
- Manda, D.K., Kosimbei, G., Wanjala, B., 2007, Impact of minimum wages on formal employment in Kenya, Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA) Discussion paper Number 67 (ISBN 9966777 15 6)
- Onsomu, E., Kosimbei, G., Ngware, M., 2006, Impact of gender and socio- economic factors on primary education performance in Kenya: An empirical analysis, Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA) Discussion Paper Number 56 (ISBN 9966949 96 8)
- Onsomu, E., Muthaka, D., Ngware, M., Kosimbei, G., 2006, Financing of secondary education in Kenya: costs and options, Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA) Discussion Paper Number 55 (ISBN 9966 949 99 2).
- Kosimbei, G., 2005, Child healthcare seeking behaviour in Kenya, Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA) Discussion paper Number 50 (ISBN 9966 949 96 8).
- Kosimbei, G., 2004, Financial markets disparities in developed and developing countries; In Disparities in developing countries: types, challenges and the way forward, Association of Third World Studies- Kenya chapter Volume 1 (ISBN 9966 9969 18).
- Gachanja, P., Kosimbei, G., 2004, Agriculture production subsidies in developed countries, which way out for developing countries; In Disparities in developing countries: types, challenges and the way forward, Association of Third World Studies-Kenya chapter Volume 1 (ISBN 9966 9969 18).
Conferences and Workshops attended
- International AIDS Society - 19th International AIDS Conference, Abstract No: MOPE 757, L. Tong, R Brady, G Koimbei, M, Podmore; Costing Community Mobilization within the HIV and AIDS Response: Piloting a method to understanding the costs of community mobilization within the proposed UNAIDS Investment Framework (IF)
- International AIDS Society - 20th International AIDS Conference, Abstract NO: WEPE 370, P.A Chen, K Kripke, G. Kosimbei, D. Mwai, G, Gakii, J. Kimani, L. Gelmon, G. Githuka, S.C. Resch, R. Hecht, A. Dutta; Cost to Scale Up Oral Pre- Exposure Prophylaxis for Sex Workers in Kenya: Evidence for Action
- UNAIDS and Technical Support Facility for Eastern and Southern Africa (TSF-EA), National AIDS Spending Assessment Methodology Workshop, Sundton Sun, Johannesburg, 15th to 19th July 2013
- National AIDS Control Council, 2nd Biennial Scientific HIV and AIDS Conference, Kenya School of Monetary Studies, Nairobi, Kenya, 6th to 9th May 2013. Presented a Paper on “Cost and Cost effectiveness Analysis of Oral Pre Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) in Kenya” written together with Daniel Mwai
- African Economic Research Consortium, Meeting of Experts to set Comprehensive Examinations for the Collaborative PhD Programme, Cresta Lodge, Gaborone, Botswana, 5th to 10th February 2013
- Ministry of Finance, Directorate of Public Private Partnerships and The World Bank, Effective Implementation of Public Private Partnerships, Crown Plaza Hotel, Nairobi, 18th September 2012
- International AIDS Society, National AIDS programmes efficiency and effectiveness, Sarova Panafric, Nairobi, 19th and 20th April 2012
- Salvo Global PTE Ltd Training Workshop, Implementing an Effective PPP Model, Sundton Sun,Johannesburg, 7th and 8th March 2011
- New Mexico State University, International Conference on China in Africa: International perspectives on a Developing Relationship, 23rd to 24th April 2010 at Corbett Center Auditorium Hosted by The Confucius Institute, The International Relations Institute and Black Programs. Presented a paper on China Africa Relations, the case of Kenya.
- GTZ –Public Finance Management, Workshop on Gender responsive budgeting held at Serena Beach Hotel in Mombasa, 16th to 20th November 2009. I made a presentation on Costs of Family Planning in Kenya, a study I had done for USAID Health Policy Initiative.
- USAID Health Policy Initiative, Workshop on RAPID Model and costs of family planning in Kenya, Nairobi, 15th July 2009.
- USAID Health Policy Initiative, Workshop on costing of family planning in Kenya, Nairobi, 3rd and 4th December 2008.
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) Workshop on the Teaching and Research of Economic and Legal Aspects of International Investment Agreements held in Kampala, Uganda, 10th to 14th November 2008.
- Training on Spectrum System of Policy Model by John Stover, The POLICY Project, 14th to 16th May 2008.
- Kenya Medical Research Institute/Wellcome Trust & Health Economics Unit, University of Cape Town, South Africa, workshop on Equity and equity measurement in health research, 5-7 December 2006, KEMRI Kilifi Kenya.
- Kenya Private Sector Alliance seminar on the National Social Health Insurance Scheme, July 2004, Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Southern and Eastern Consortium for Monitoring Education Quality (SACMEQ) I and II Data archive dissemination workshop, 28th to 29th June 2004, at KCCT, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Association of Third World Studies (ATWS) conference, 17th to 19th September 2003, held in Kenyatta University. Theme on Disparities
- World Bank Institute and AIESEC, seminar on Corporate social responsibility, 22nd July 2003, held in Nairobi University
Supervision of Ph.D Students
- Mugo, L., Effect of financial management policies and contextual factors on the capital structure and performance relationship of Kenyan listed companies, Kenyatta University, Ph.D in Finance: Graduated in July 2014
- Tabitha, M, The Effects of Basel II requirements for bank regulations on banking sector efficiency in Kenya, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Ph.D in Finance: Graduated in June 2014
- Karau, James, Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment Flows in Selected East African Countries, 1970- 2010, Kenyatta University, Ph.D in Economics: Graduated in July 2014
- Ocharo, Kennedy, Private capital inflows and economic growth in Kenya: 1970 to 2010, Kenyatta University, Ph.D in Economics: Graduated in December 2013
Supervision of Masters Students
- Otwori, A., November 2012 to October 2013, Effects of Government Expenditure on Sectoral Growth in Kenya, Kenyatta University, Master of Economics
- Odonya, N., May 2012 to July 2013, Determinants of tax compliance in Kenya: The case of Machakos tax region, Kenyatta University, Master of Public Policy
- Lemein, L., May 2012 to October 2013, Factors influencing the community’s negative perceptions towards Narok County Council and its development record, Kenyatta University, Master of Public Policy
- Muthui, J., October 2011 to October 2012, Impact of Public Expenditure Components on Economic Growth in Kenya: 1964 to 2011, Kenyatta University, Master of Economics (Econometrics) Research Paper
- Mburu, G.J., November 2011 to September 2012, Impact of interest rates on inflation in Kenya, Kenya School of Monetary Studies and Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Master of Science in Public Policy and Analysis
- Njaramba, S., November 2010 to December 2011, Econometric estimation of the supply function for coffee in Kenya, Kenyatta University, Master of Economics Research Paper
- Gichuki, J.K., November 2010 to December 2011, The choice of optimal monetary policy instrument for Kenya, Kenyatta University, Master of Economics (Econometrics) Research Paper
- Nandelenga, M., November 2009 to July 2010, Debt sustainability and macroeconomic performance in Kenya, Kenyatta University, Master of Economics (Econometrics) Research Paper
Last Updated on Friday, 11 January 2019 05:39